The Croucher Foundation (the “Foundation”) is committed to ensure that all personal data provided to the Foundation and submitted through the website of the Foundation are handled in accordance with the relevant principles and requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (the “Ordinance”). The full text of the Ordinance is available at http://www.pcpd.org.hk/english/ordinance/ordfull.html.
The key areas of the Foundation’s general practice and policy with respect to data protection are summarized as follows:
1. Supply of personal data
You are required to supply accurate, complete and up-to-date personal data to the Foundation in connection with applications for grants, scholarships, fellowships, membership of any association for award recipients established by the Foundation and/or matters relating to the Foundation’s management and administration of its funding programmes.
The scope of personal data requested from you may vary depending on the type of applications being made. In general, they may include some or all of the following:-
• full name, gender, date and place of birth;
• Hong Kong Identity Card details;
• social security and/or national identification number, nationality/citizenship, passport details (including visa information), residence and work permit (if applicable);
• workplace address, home address, telephone number, mobile telephone number, and email address;
• educational and professional background, examination results, references, and employment details;
• language and other relevant skills; and
• characteristics, including photographs.
Supply of personal data to the Foundation is non-obligatory but failure to do so may result in the Foundation being unable to process your applications or to provide you with the relevant facilities and services.
2. Use of personal data
Your personal data may be used for the following purposes or any directly-related purposes:-
• collating statistical information relating to the applicants to assist the Foundation in the management and administration of its funding programmes;
• assessing your suitability and verifying your eligibility for grants, scholarships, fellowships, membership of any association for award recipients established by the Foundation and/or any other funding programmes operated by the Foundation (regardless of whether you are a new applicant or an applicant who re-applies for such grants, scholarships, fellowships, membership and/or funding programmes);
• making arrangement with the higher education institutions for placement;
• promoting the Foundation’s grants, scholarships, fellowships and other funding programmes (e.g., publicity materials, the Foundation’s website);
• maintaining continuous communication with recipients of grants, scholarships and other award recipients during the period, and upon expiry, of their awards;
• handling matters relating to administration of scholarships and fellowships which have been awarded;
• meeting any disclosure requirements as required by the relevant laws and regulations; and
• facilitating communication between you and the Foundation.
Unless your prior consent has been obtained, your personal data will only be used and processed by the authorized employees, agents and consultants of the Foundation for the purposes or a directly-related purpose for which they were collected or where it is permitted under the Ordinance.
The Foundation will from time to time need to disclose and transfer some of your personal information to other external organizations (including but not limited to higher education institutions, your referees, governmental authorities, examination boards and awarding bodies) for the purposes or a directly-related purpose for which the personal data were collected or where it is permitted under the Ordinance.
Unless permitted or required by law, the Foundation will not disclose or transfer your personal data to any other third parties without your prior consent.
3. Access to and correction of personal data
You are entitled to request for access to personal data held by the Foundation about you and to correct, amend or delete such data. You also may object to the processing or transferring of your personal data if you have legitimate reasons to do so. The Foundation will charge a reasonable fee for the processing of such requests. You may direct your request in writing to:
The Croucher Foundation
Suite 501, Nine Queen’s Road Central
4. Retention of personal data
Personal data will not be kept longer than necessary for the purposes (including any directly-related purposes) for which they were collected, unless the retention is governed by legislation or it is in the public interest not to erase the data.
Application data of unsuccessful applicants will be erased as soon as practicable and in any event no later than one year upon rejection of offers.
5. Security of personal data
The Foundation has taken all reasonable steps to ensure that personal data supplied to the Foundation are protected against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use. All personal data you provide to the Foundation, by any means including via this website, are secured, and access to them is restricted to authorized personnel only.
The Foundation will record visits to this website without collecting any personal identifiable information of users. Such general statistics are collected for the compilation of statistical reports and the diagnosis of problems with or concerning computer systems to help improve this website.
Search function on this website is provided by proprietary software of the Foundation. The Foundation does not collect personal identifiable information while serving search results through this website and will not match the data obtained from any such search activity with any personal data possibly held by the Foundation.